With all the excitement of warmer days, more sun, and long boat rides it is easy to forget about all of the legal requirements you need to have in your boat at all times. But don’t worry, I’m here to give you a quick reminder of all of those goodies to keep you, your family, and your friends safe this boating season.
A general rule is to always look over your boat, make sure there’s no cracks or holes in the hull, and that all of the lights are working, etc. In addition to those few outside safety tips there are some items required* to keep inside of the boat as well.
The items are:
- Life jackets or flotation devices (one for each passenger)
- A buoyant heaving line (15 metre minimum)
- Anchor (15 metre of rope, cable or chain)
- Sound signalling device (pealess whistle, airhorn, etc.)
- Fire extinguisher
- Waterproof flashlight (batteries)
*requirements are provided by the Transport Canada website.
For more information go to: